Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Commonmass's story

Commonmass writes,
My Married Californian Friends have been visiting here in Massachusetts for a week. They were among those married in California prior to prop 8. Over dinner last night we talked about the future of the legality of their marriage. They are understandably concerned that there is a very real possibility that the court ruling could dissolve their union. They have been together for over 10 years.

What is interesting is that while here in New England they took a side trip to Montreal. I pointed out to them that as they drove from Massachusetts through Vermont to Quebec their marriage was valid and recognized everywhere they traveled. It was clearly liberating for them to realize this.

I can't get out to California to demonstrate, but many of us here in New England are behind our West Coast comrades. Coming face to face with prop 8 in the persons of my good friends this last week has made me count my blessings--and has re-energized my commitment to marriage equality for all.

Do you have a story about being a gay married Californian? Put it in the comments and I will post it.

No comments: