Tired of getting hammered by anti-gay "Christians"? First, remember, the majority of Christians are actually pro-equality (despite what the Evangelical right or Roman Catholic bishops claim). And the Bible doesn't address our modern understanding of homosexuality. (It's not so great on astronomy or medicine either!) Here are some tools to fight back.
Theological resources for fighting the anti-gay Christians
1) From the Episcopal Church, "Doing the Theology":
- Claiming the Blessing
- To Set our Hopes on Christ
- Same sex relationships in the life of the church
- Holiness in relationships
- Marriage and Blessings, an informative series from St. Paul's Memorial Episcopal Church in Charlottesville, Virginia
- What the Bible says, and doesn't say, about same sex relationships (From Soulforce)
- What the Bible REALLY says about marriage
- The Rev. Peter Gomes: Re-read your bible
- From Bishop Gene Robinson: What the Bible says: reading the texts of terror
4) The workbook, Reconciling Journey: a devotional workbook for gay Christians
5) Journey towards acceptance: theologians and same sex love (PDF) by Savitri Hensman is an overview of theological discussion and debate from the last 60 years.
Testimony from gay Christians.
- From Mel White, the autobiography "Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay & Christian in America"
Lots more resources on this Daily Kos diary from 2008
Also see the series of posts here on Voices of Faith Speak Out