Friday, May 8, 2009

A new blog: welcome

Why yet another blog? Because the court has left us in an odd position. About 18,000 same sex couples in California joyfully married between May and November, 2008. During that time, the sun went about its appointed rounds, no earthquakes dropped the state into the Pacific, and in fact, not much changed in real life.

Now, we exist in a legal limbo. Our GLBT brothers and sisters can't marry. We are the ambassadors for gay marriage in California, but also for the rest of the country (or at least the 45 states where it remains illegal).

So on this blog, I invite you to tell your story, as a married GLBT person . (If you post it in the comments, I will convert it to a real post). Of course, anyone is welcome to enter into the conversation -- married, single, gay or straight. We'll discuss the arguments that have been used against us, and develop talking points to defend our right to marry. However, this isn't a blog where the idea of gay marriage is to be debated. This blog exists with the viewpoint that all of us should have the right to marry the partner whom we love. If you don't agree, maybe we can persuade you. But in the end, I'm not interested in hearing yet again why the opposition thinks I'm wrong. I'm interested in how we can make it right for all of us.

7 comments:

James said...

I'm proud to know you!u

Frank Remkiewicz aka “Tree” said...

IT,
Let's work together.
Take a look at Real Anglicans and help me make the Episcopalian Bill of Rights a reality.

Frank Remkiewicz aka “Tree” said...

It,
I now have this blog on Real Anglican Blog Rolls.

Lynn said...

IT, just dropping by to say hello.

Elizabeth said...

Peace and love to you both. Keep that little bird of hope alive, because I don't think the California Supreme Court can kill it. Of course, they could rule against you, but looking around the country, the tide is turning whether they like it or not. You two are married in our eyes and the eyes of God. The state will have to catch up.

Mary Clara said...

Dear IT, I just dropped in to wish you the best with the blog and the campaign to STAY MARRIED in California. As Elizabeth said, you and BP are married in our eyes and in the eyes of God. The state of California will, I am confident, get on board, if not now, then soon. I am keeping you and BP and the campaign in my prayers here in my little outpost in the Episcopal diocese of Maryland. I'm one of those old married straight people (40 years and counting) who feels that your union honors and amplifies the institution of marriage rather than undermining it.

IT said...

THank you kindly, all. It remains to be seen if we really get off the ground, but I have a few stories from other people in the queue now, and in between a number of relevant stories. And of course the court will be sure to keep us on our toes any day now!