Monday, February 18, 2013

The story of the wedding photographer and the bridal magazine

Seems there is a photographer who wanted to advertise in a wedding magazine called Weddings Unveiled,  and she chose an image of a lesbian couple exchanging a kiss.  The magazine declined to run it. She writes
I sent this ad to you on Valentine’s Day. That afternoon, your editor called and said:

Is there possibly another photograph you’d like to use in your ad? We just don’t feel comfortable publishing an ad featuring a same-sex couple. These aren’t our personal beliefs, of course, but, you know... 
In the seconds that followed, a little part of my heart broke. 
and goes on,
A friend of mine asked me, “Aren’t there other publications who would be happy to advertise to the gay community?” And, you know, yes, I’m quite sure there are. But I chose Weddings Unveiled because I’m not trying to advertise to “the gay community.” I’m advertising to couples who are getting married. This couple didn’t get “gay married.” They didn’t have a “gay wedding.” They got married. They had a wedding. They share their lives, their joys and sorrows, and all the mundane daily things that we all share with our partners. They are just people. In love. Committed to one another.
I LOVE our straight allies!!!!!

The magazine has apologized.

No comments: