Friday, December 2, 2011

Why it matters: lesbian binational couple forced apart

This is a great article from SheWired about the real human costs of being a binational same-sex couple.
As I sit here writing this, a few hours from now my wife will be waking up on her 44th birthday without me by her side. I know that she’s already struggling with this idea because at 4 a.m. UK time I received a text that read, “Laying here drowning in my tears, I miss you so much, I can’t stand being away from you. You are the only one who will make me whole. Need you!”

Quite honestly I didn’t know how to respond, as any words I have to offer won’t change the fact that I can’t give Inger what she needs for her birthday; me there with her.
The real costs of DOMA and Prop8 are ignored by the Roman Catholic and Mormon hierarchies who finance the prejudice against us. And increasingly, I find it to be hatred--unChristian, brutalizing, bigoted hatred. Why would a true Christian want our families to suffer? But they do not consider us families, and I believe they do not consider us human.

Taking liberties with Shakespeare,

Hath not a gay eyes? hath not a gay hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a hetero is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die?

And too many of us ARE dying, apart and alone. And that's what they want.

2 comments:

JCF said...

And when we say "Please Stop Oppressing Us. Please Stop Your Bigotry Against Us"

...they say that, like Shakespeare's Shylock, we're revenging (Without the "re-" part, because apparently Our Homosexual Agenda "started it". Oy vey.)

Erp said...

Unfortunately aliens are all too often not considered human either (see Alabama or Arizona) so bi-national same sex couples are doubly doomed (especially if brown or black also).